The reading for this week is chapter 5 of Katherine Morris’ book Starting With Merleau-Ponty.
- Explain the difference between the problems of other minds.
- Why is ‘the existence of other people a difficulty and an outrage for objective thought’?
- Explain Sartre’s distinction between the Other-as-object and Other-as-subject.
- Explain Sartre’s case study of shame and what he thinks this shows us about our knowledge of others.
- Which bits of Sartre’s account does Merleau-Ponty reject?
- What’s the importance of Descartes’ cogito to Merleau-Ponty’s account? What is the cogito? And what does Merleau-Ponty find problematic about it?
- What is the interworld?
- What is bodily reciprocity?